Saturday, March 6, 2010

Thank God!

Father I thank you. What do you have to be thankful for? The rent is due and you're broke. Father I thank you because I have never had to live on the streets and face the biting cold winds while wondering if  I'll be safe or not wake up because of I froze to death or was robbed and beaten. I know you will provide the rent. You have always provided and you have promised to supply all my needs. (Philippians 4:19)
Morning worship at the Grange in Tobago

What do you have to thank God for? Look at you. You're sick and bedridden. The doctor said that you might not make it. Father I thank you for these limbs that aren't working as well as they should because there are people who have lost theirs. There are people who will never know what pain feels like because they are unable to feel.  I thank you that even though my health is not as I would like it to be I am right now still alive and you have promised healing. (Malachi 4:2) So there is the hope of a tomorrow and if not, then thank you for the years that you  blessed me with  the enjoyment of friends and the love of my family.

Father I thank you. What are you thanking Him for now? Your cupboards are empty, your stomach is empty. You have lost your job and cannot provide for your family.  Father I thank you because my food has been constant. I have never gone hungry neither has my family and I know today will be no differnet. So I say as David did: "The Lord is my shephard; I shall not want." (Psalm 23:1)

What do I have to thank God for? Everything!

Meditate:

1Thessalonians 5: 16-18

Why not take a few minutes to read:

Psalm 23

Reflect:

It is not easy to be thankful in hard times. In fact, it's downright hard. It is however, healthier. How can we rise above our circumstances and be thankful anyhow?
I have found that in the midst of any hardship, if I purposefully look for things to be thankful for that I usually find them.
 My mother-in-law who is presently in the advanced stages of glaucoma, said that during one of the days when her sight was really dim, she sat down and started talking to God and started listing the things that He had done for her. She said she cried when she realised that there were so many things that she ended up spending the entire day in praise.
How do you practise thankfulness?

1 comment:

  1. Part of thankfulness is being alert and observing and recognising the benefits that you have experienced and also others.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are important to me. It makes writing worthwhile.