Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Opportunity knocks But So Does Opposition

J.M.W. Turner
The Fighting Temeraire, 1838,oil, 36" x 48"
 National Gallery, London

Key three in our list of how to afffect successful change comes wrapped in an unhappy wrapper. This unhappy wrapper is called 'opposition' Unfortunately, there is always going to be someone who wants to rain on your parade; someone who, because of his/her own failures or lack of drive or goals has decided that no one else must have the 'it'. What do you do? Do you cave and crumble under the overwhelming force that can come as a result of the 'nay sayer '?

Before you make up your mind I want to point out some very important truths. Opposition says no but God says 'yea and amen" through Christ. (2Corinthians 1: 20) With God the word impossible does not exist. (Matthew 19:26) God says He will fight for you and also guide you as you respond to your detractors. (50: 5-7) Most important, the Lord is not out to 'get you' (Jeremiah 29:11-13) There's more but then I wouldn't be able to write anything else so I hope that you search the book of treasure and find others to share with others.

Now that you have these truths in hand and heart, let me put forward this idea. Opposition can be helpful. (What?) The Confuscian saying that nothing worthwhile comes cheaply, is true. We love quick fixes and easy money but in reality, these are as transient as a piece of burnt paper: the touch can cause it to crumble.

When you face opposition, think of it as the crucible; the fire that will purge the piece of gold and thereby increase its value. Think of it as the strengthening of your character; because how you respond to any situation determines your outcome more. Think of opposition as opportunity in disguise; a disguise that you can see through if you arm yourself with the right set of eyes: prayer. Now remember, I said this will not be easy I am still learning the lesson) but if you want to be successful, if you want to affect change that will enhance your life, then be prepared for opposition knowing that you can overcome. (Philippians 4:13)

Dr Black gave as one of his illustrations David. David was only about 17 years when he faced down the mighty Goliath. He never buckled, he never feared. He gave as good as he got. Why? Because he had discovered early, the truths that I have shared with you today. He believed God would do what He said and so he was able to tell Goliath: "You come to me  with a sword and with a spear and with a shield: but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts... This day will the Lord deliver you into mine hand..." (1Samuel 17: 45-47)

So now that you have read this and you have prayed and armed yourself with the power of God, go forth and conquer opposition.

Be blessed
GretaMichelle

Meditate:

Isaiah 50: 5-7
The Lord hath opened my ear, and I was not rebellious,
neither turned away back. I gave m back to the smiters,
 and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair; I hid
not my face from shame and spitting. For the Lord God
will help me; therefore shall I not ve confounded: therefore
 have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not
be ashamed.
Why not take a few minutes to read:

1Samuel 17

Reflect:

Have there been opposition to your dreams and goals that was so intense it caused to deviate from your purpose?
Now that you can recognise them, are you going to continue to allow them to hold you back?
Maybe you didn't give in, maybe you did set your face like a flint. What did you do? How can you share this knowledge with someone else and thereby empower them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important to me. It makes writing worthwhile.