Saturday, February 27, 2010

I've Got This! - part 3

Happy Sabbath. It's amazing how many times we make excuses for our actions just because we refuse to trust that God really has our best interests at heart and is prepared and more than able to handle our situations and fight our battles. Maybe it's because we don't know Him well enough, maybe it's because we have gone through our lives having the people we trust betray that trust so much that we are afraid to believe that God is faithful to His promises.

As a teacher I am constantly called upon to deal with students who, for whatever reason, felt it was necessary to fly off the handle or speak in haste. The excuse for such actions? "I couldn't help it..."
As adults we also love to use that as our excuse de jour. "I know I'm on a budget but the shoes just called to me. I just couldn't help it" "I know I should wait for marriage but I love him/her so much I just couldn't help it" "I know I'm on a diet but the day was so stressful I couldn't help it so I went to the patisserie" (This one's mine)

'I couldn't help it' has become such a mantra for us  that we use it without thinking. The truth is, however, we can help it. One of the first things God gave us was free-will; the power to choose. It wasn't to be used to have our way nor was it to be used irresponsibly. It was to be used to weigh our options and make responsible and informed choices. So when I eat, whether out of frustration or anxiety and not out of hunger, I can help it. I didn't make the right choice the first time and find an alternative method of dealing with stress, so I pushed myself into a habit that has become so ingrained that it's hard to break, but it can be helped. It can be broken. It can be controlled.

Remember, the scripture promise said that God will not give us more than we can bear but will make a way of escape. (1Corinthians 10:13)

I have found that we are equipped with the power to do anything we put our minds to. That includes giving up things we don't need; things that are toxic for us and therefore keeping us from our purpose; whether it is a habit or a relationship. We were made to be strong and resilient. We were also made to be smart; smart enough to weigh a situation and know when it is over our heads and we need help, smart enough to know when to proceed and when to wait. What we were not made with is the need to make excuses for our actions and find things and people to blame. That came later, after Adam and Eve disobeyed God.

God does not give us more than  we can bear. I say this because I know it to be true. I have seen it to be true. I have been in the firing line and have stood as the bullets flew all around me, yet they did not come near me because I allowed God to do as He promised and was able to stand and see His salvation. The real love will come. the anger will be taken away. The stress and the weight can be managed. Just be the tree on the rock and stand still and see God's salvation.
Be blessed.

GretaMichelle

Meditate:
Exodus14: 13
And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will shew to you to day...

Why not take a few minutes to read:

Exodus 14

Reflect:

The story of the Isrealites' sojourn in the wilderness can be seen as a story of people learning to trust. Everytime they doubted, and were hasty they ended up in difficulty. Yet, God continued to come through for them. Wouldn't it have been better for them to just believe God? They had already been given enough evidence of His faithfulness. What do you think?



Remember your input will help others to grow so please share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important to me. It makes writing worthwhile.