Monday, February 22, 2010

Are You the One?

Sunrise Over Stella Maris
Oils on canvas 16x20

...Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for someone else?
Matthew 11:3

I remember the first time I saw Stella Maris (the house, not the person) I wasn't looking for it. I had passed along that North East Coast road many times and had seen and overlooked that sign many times, my mind on another goal, another quest. I almost crashed the car the first time I really paid attention. So captivated with what I had been passing all along I forgot that I was on a winding road, unforgiving of mistakes. I regained control of the car and vowed that the first chance I got I was coming back to paint that scene. It turned out to be two runs at 4.00 am but it was worth every second I spent there, capturing the mood of  the sun rising over that house, overlooking the sea.

When John found himself thrown in prison he anticipated that Jesus was going do some great miracle and spring him from his jail cell. His study of the scriptures had told him that the Kingdom of God would be established on earth that the wicked would be punished and the high and mighty brought low. When Jesus didn't immediately come to his rescue  and days turned to weeks and time started to count down for him he probably thought "well all those years of preaching repent was a waste of time." If he had been Trinidadian he would have proclaimed "This man bogus!" Whatever his thoughts, he sent his disciples with the question: "Are you the one...?"

All of us, like John, are waiting for a messiah; a saviour to take us out of our present situation whether it is debt or a bad marriage or a horrible, unsatisfying job or uncontrollable children or to just deliver us from ourselves. We look for it in things; books on self-help, relationships that on your best day, you know was just wrong, drugs and alcohol, random sex, whatever trend is spot on at the time. The reality is, however, that the cure; the solution, just as it was with Stella is right before our eyes. We are tripping over it in our attempts to find what we seek.

Jesus told the disciples of John to go and tell him what they had seen. The blind saw, the lame walked, the sick were cured. John had heard and seen the miracles but had forgotten, because of his situation. He had been temporarily blinded by doubt and fear. What's blinding us today to the reality that the savior that we seek; the one we look for in all the wrong things is right in front of us waiting for us to open our eyes and see the beauty and the endless the possibilies?

Be blessed.
GretaMichelle


Meditate

Deuteronomy 4:29
But from there, you will search for the Lord your God,
and you will find Him when you seek Him
with all your heart and all your soul.

Why not take a few minutes to read:

Psalm 34

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important to me. It makes writing worthwhile.